legal resources and help for companies during covid-19
our lawyers are here to provide you with practical advice through these strange times
The current Covid-19 crisis and subsequent government-ordered lockdown has thrown up many questions for SMEs to answer. Things like:
- What is a force majeure clause and does it apply to me and my contracts?
- What do I do if payment is due under a commercial agreement and I can’t pay?
- How do I handle business continuity?
Or if you’re a startup and looking to raise a round, things like:
- Should I raise a down round?
- What should I do about runway? Cashflow?
- Should I consider a bridge round or bridging financing?
We’ve put together some resources below that we hope you’ll find useful. If it’s not on here, get in touch. Our lawyers are working fully remotely and are ready and able to support you through this time.
our latest resources
covid-19 wage subsidy scheme extended to help certain pre-revenue NZ startups
impact of covid-19 on the nz startup ecosystem
NZ startup survey: impact of covid-19
lockdown tips: signing docs and passing resolutions during the covid-19 crisis
help for startups in financial difficulty during covid-19
investor directors’ duties and managing conflicts during covid-19
other helpful resources we've found
More pointers we’ve found that help mostly entrepreneurs and operators to navigate Covid-19. This is a totally informal, non-comprehensive list.
(last updated 15 April 2020)
information for kiwi companies
- Covid-19 support for employers (Work & Income)
- Information regarding financial support (covid19.govt.nz)
- Covid-19 Package – Application for startups (Angel Association NZ)
- Covid-19 Dashboard + Resources (Employers and Manufacturers Association)
- Coronavirus: The essential services that will keep running in New Zealand (The Icehouse)
- Thousands of Kiwi businesses might not have to pay rents (NZ Herald)
- Manaaki.io – a business advisory support network for SMEs (Manaaki.io)
information for tech companies and startups
- Guidance for startups/VCs from VCs around the globe during Covid-19 (Forbes)
- Small Business Grants Program (Facebook)
- How to build a Stress Scenario if you are a SaaS company facing the Covid-19 crisis? (Serena)
- Coronavirus: The Black Swan of 2020 (Sequoia Capital’s 56 Slide Presentation Of Doom – 2008) (Sequoia)
- The Matrix for COVID-19 (Sequoia)
doing our bit to help out our community
We’ve been helping out the tech ecosystem and wider private sector as this situation has developed, such as:
- joining the build team of Voluntarily, and helping out with t&cs and privacy policies on their open source volunteering platform
- volunteering as a business advisor on the emergency support network for SMEs – Manaaki.io
Are you helping fight the good fight and need a hand wrangling the legals? Speak to our team.
It’s important to have good foundations. We can help put in place governance documents such as a constitution, shareholders’ agreement, founder documentation, and employee share option plans.
We help with fundraising rounds, bridge rounds, VC financings, and pre IPO rounds. We review and negotiate term sheets, convertible notes, subscription agreements, and other standard investment documents.
Most tech companies are likely to exit via M&A (rather than IPO). As M&A experts in the tech space, we work with our clients throughout their life cycles to maximise value on exit.
Companies often need basic agreements to deal with the day-to-day running of their business. We can help draft these contracts like website terms and conditions, and GDPR-compliant privacy policies.
see what our clients say
we're still here to help
Kindrik Partners operates in the cloud and will continue to fully function through the COVID-19 crisis. Our staff are now working remotely. This is to ensure our staff and local communities remain as safe as possible (in line with Government communications).
Apart from working remotely, it is business as usual for us. If you need to contact us, email is best but we are also available on our mobiles. We are ready and able to support you through this time.